The Legends of the Pugilistic Leader

This is a record of my everyday life, my thoughts and feelings, and my favourite topics. Read it if it's of interest to u!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Today's paper sucked. I never expected that prof to ask everything in such detail. E.g. How has this guy contributed to the advancement of Virology? OMG.

U noe this thing about ang mohs and Chinese? We Chinese are really practical people. When we learn about a topic, we learn about the principles and mechanisms and we try to understand how the thing works. That is how we define learning. Ang mohs think differently. They think it is important to know how things work. But it is EQUALLY important knowing who was the first person to make it work! And maybe also which institute he came from, what exactly did he do etc etc. Talk about cultural differences.

Anyway as I was telling some of my friends, the past few days stress had gotten me really depressed and when I'm depressed its really quite scary. Inside. Not outside. And then there are also many external factors. Like reading about that jnr from RG. She's younger than me for heaven's sake. And she's dying. Life is never fair.

joanchanshufang.blogspot.com

Seeing the pictures inside, seeing how she faces and fights her fate, I feel depressed, yet to a certain extent, glad. A queer mix. The last time I felt like this was when this other girl from RG hung herself. Dunno if any still remember her. Someone who had everything going for her, to end it like this. I dunno her very well, just hi and bye friends maybe. But her usual sunny personality shone thru. I never understood why she did what she did, but well.

Anyway i'm starting to blabber.

My point is, our lives are what we make it. How we face things in life, how we perceive things.

I have a killer paper in 2 days, and I just might get all stressed out and get all depressed again. But I read this article in the papers tonight (Chinese tabloid again, my dad loves it!).

How a person faced with the most extreme adversities managed to think positively throughout and maintain a happy outlook despite all that happened. The story is pretty long, if u guys wanna read about it then leave a tag or something then I shall post it in my next entry. But otherwise, shall not bore u all here.

The article mentioned some Buddhism teachings. I'm not a real devout Buddhist, but there is great wisdom in some of the teachings that are noteworthy. The secret to being happy is to always have an open mind. If you allow any little thing to bother you, you get irritated easily, the only person who's suffering is yourself. If someone does something that bothers you, you brush it off and then smile and be happy again, you stand to gain cos u achieve happiness. If someone does something bad to you, you get angry. That is human nature. But after a while, if u smile and forgive, you gain happiness again.

Wealth and poverty, life and death, material gains and losses, good or bad? It's all just how we perceive things. Once we are able to change our mindset and look at things from a different perspective, we will be a happier person and we will be more at peace with ourselves.

If you are interested, please click here.

BTW I don't mean to sell my religion here, but for my non-buddhist friends perhaps we can all learn from some of the wisdom behind the teachings. Not asking u guys to follow the religion, but rather think about the way of life being advocated. You can still believe in what other religion u are in. But I feel, if we can all life like the way described above, we will all be very happy people and the world will be a much better place! =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home