The Legends of the Pugilistic Leader

This is a record of my everyday life, my thoughts and feelings, and my favourite topics. Read it if it's of interest to u!

Monday, March 14, 2005

My 94 year old distant relative

Haha.. yesterday, my grandma came over to my place, cos this 94 year old distant relative of mine wanted to visit her, and she was afraid the climb down to her house (which is not on a lift landing floor) might be too hard the old lady to take. So she asked the old lady to come to my place instead.
The minute I heard that I had this 94 year old relative, I was like.. oh great.. wonderful.. now this weird antique is coming over to my place and I don't even know what to do to entertain her. The most terrible thing is that, my parents don't know her or the people bringing her to my place at all! They had never seen these relatives ever before, but yet I have.. cos there was this once I accompanied my grandma to this wedding.. and I met all these distant distant and more distant relatives.. so much so that I dunno how to call 90% of their names. But my point is, since I'm the only person in the whole entire family who even have a notion of who these people are, the job of entertaining them fell nicely into my lab. Great.. just great.. Haha.. the minute they stepped into the house, I started to dread how I should entertain these antiques. However, the very first impression that the oldest antique gave me was surprisingly good. She could still stand and walk by herself despite her age. And she was real jovial and had a grandmotherly face. Ok. Good impression. Then she started talking to my grandma.. great! 2nd good impression.. cos she understands that we young ones have difficulty communicating with the old ones.. so she's giving us an easy way out. Then the younger antiques started chatting.. with me.. sucks.. cos I was the only person they had ever met other than my grandma. But oh well, I've to admit, they were real nice people.. maybe juz cos of our age gap, it was harder for us to communicate. Then suddenly I remembered... this was the couple with the real outstanding kids! Oh shit.. great.. now the parents are really gonna start comparing their kids performance. Damn.. being the not-that-dumb kid that I am, I siam to my room and decided to sleep.. time is better spent that way. Adults can communicate better than adults talking to us kids.

After a while, the adults decided to go to Goodwood Park for lunch.. there's this chinese restaurant there that's apparently rather good (not that I think so, think Crystal Jade is better). Yeah.. anyway, during lunch, that's when the old old antique showed a side of her that started to make me seriously fall in love with her. Haha.. She started speaking to me in English. Apparently, when she was young, she came from a very well-to-do family, and was English-educated. And my oh my.. she was so cute! She specially went to do her hair at a salon juz so she could look pretty for this gathering. And then she was rather vain too.. liked to dress up. She looked so happy when my grandma commented that her clothes and hair were pretty. Haha. And she was rather well mannered too. When food accidentally came out from her mouth cos she was talking, she looked so traumatised and kept saying, "Excuse me excuse me." Haha.. And when she saw my camera phone, she insisted that I take a picture of her and my grandma together, and made me show her the picture. After we finished lunch, her legs were a bit numb from sitting for too long.. so she started shaking her legs and dancing around to get them moving again.. man.. how I wish I could be as cute as her when I grow old. Haha..

Ok anyway rite, after that we went to my other relative's place, the relative who brought this old lady here (this old lady is my great grandma's cousin-in-law, and the relative who brought her here is the grandson of the old lady's sister), yes, the outstanding relative with even more outstanding kids. The minute we walked into his home, we were held in awe. Ok.. I mean.. not like we haven't seen a lot of rich kids in RG and HC lar.. but.. I really never knew I had a relative who was this rich.. ok.. maybe the standard of wealth is not as high as the richest kids in HC and RG.. but.. the achievements definitely are! The home itself is huge, and the design is real cool.. minimalist, the latest interior design style. Yeah.. and then, parked in the porch is not 1, but 2 Toyota Camry 2.4! Apparently one of them belonged to his son. OK.. on to his kids. His son first. He's 26 this year, had only stepped into the working world for 1 and a half years, and has already gotten the Best Journalist of the Year Award from The Business Times (yes he works as a Business Times journalist). He was formally a student in the Gifted programme, and yes, he's the type who do not need to study to get good results.. the type we would juz love to bash up. And his wife, also in her twenties, is on an A Star scholarship, studying for her Economics PhD! No wonder at their age they are able to afford a condo and a Toyota Camry 2.4! Ok... on to his sister. His sister is equally outstanding. She's currently studying for her MBA at Fudan university in China! And for all u ulu kids who dunno, that is one of the top universities in China, something like an Ivy League university of China. And their parents were also really outstanding. The dad is a really successful businessmen.. and is rather loaded. But the most important thing why I really look up to this family is that, despite their impressive laurels, they are not people who keep showing off these achievements. In fact, they are really sentimental people and treat all their relatives well. There was once, though we had never seen them before, we brought our grandparents out to dinner, and met them. They recognised my grandparents and greeted them. But that was not all. They quietly went to settle our bills for us, and then left after saying bye. We did not even know till we went to settle the bill. And that's when we don't even know who they are! Sigh.. ok.. yeah.. guess I've totally and absolutely succeeded in boring u guys rite.. k.. shall continue doing my lab reports. Tata!!!!

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kah suan~ i want to go home. *sobs*

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger OneSpence said...

aiyo what happened ja .... must always think positive la, in three more months to come, u will be home !!! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home