The Legends of the Pugilistic Leader

This is a record of my everyday life, my thoughts and feelings, and my favourite topics. Read it if it's of interest to u!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Coffee!!

Yep! That's right! Coffee!! I'm a 100% coffee addict!! Let's see.. when did my addiction start? Was it during my secondary school days? Or was it my JC days? Yeah.. in any case it was during a time when all I did was mug mug mug and mug.. and I needed coffee to stay awake thru late in the night to mug.. yeah.. at my peak I could drink up to 3 or 4 cups a day!! But now basically coffee has lost it's effect on me.. I'm relying on tea now. But anyway, that period of addiction has trained my taste for coffee so well that I've made it my lifelong ambition to search for great coffee!!!

Yesterday, I tried the Weasel coffee at the Vietnamese cafe in NUS while studying with Jing and JX. Yeah.. the weasel coffee.. what's that!? Hmm.. according to this The New Paper report, it's made from quality coffee beans that are extracted from weasel droppings. Yep u got that right.. weasel droppings. Weasels eat the coffee beans from the coffee plants, and cos the beans are so hard to digest the partially digested beans juz get excreted out with the droppings. Then the bean farmers will go around searching for beans in weasel droppings. Yep.. doesn't it juz make ur hair stand!? Apparently the partial digestion by the weasel's stomach seems to make the coffee better tasting or something.. in any case, I really forgot if the ones they sell at NUS are authentic weasel coffee. All I know is it's one of the only 2 cafes selling weasel coffee in Singapore. At least at the time the report was published. So back to the coffee.. I drank it cold.. but guess what.. even in the preparation of the cold coffee u can see that it's really stringent. They prepare cold coffee using the filter, and not like, juz add ice to the hot coffee that they brew like in coffee bean etc.. that's what I call quality coffee.. the taste of the beans will come thru the coffee better that way. And my conclusion for the overall taste of the coffee is--Great!!! Even JX, who dun drink any coffee, thinks it smells great.. and that smells coming from COLD and not HOT coffee.. yeah.. that juz proves how fragrant the coffee is. And it's not even as expensive as coffee bean! It costs juz $2.40 in NUS (with the student discount). So if u are from NUS and u dun even have a clue that the coffee the Vietnamese Cafe brews is so special, go try it now!

Another place with really nice coffee in Singapore is at Suntec city. Along the stretch of shops leading to Carrefour, there's this ice cream shop called Gelare. Dun think just of the ice cream, cos the coffee there tastes great as well!! The last time I went there with my aunt and baby cousins and my grandma, I chose to have the coffee rather than the ice cream while my aunt chose the peach smoothie. Of cos, like all kids, my baby cousins chose ice cream. But that aside, let's come back to the coffee there. Well, since it's primarily an ice cream place, I really did not expect much of its coffee. Thot of juz drinking it for fun. However, juz the first sip sent my taste buds to heaven. It's sooo fragrant and nice!!! And I dun even know what brew they used! So next time u have time to drop by there, please do try their coffee! And remember to help me ask what brew they use yeah? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home